Old 23-11-2015, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Winter Tomatoes

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 21:30:40 -0000 (UTC), Frank Miles
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:54:09 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

The game is on.

I have a very fancy-pants plant light installed and that I use for
seedlings in the spring. Well, I decided that I will grow tomatoes
this winter. I have planned to do cherries, figuring they'd be
easiest, but I discovered a 16", well developed volunteer in one of
the deck pots as we were tidying up for end-of-season.

Problem is that I have no idea what it is. I can tell from the leaves
that it is an heirloom, but I grew several in the vicinity. I hope it
is one of the yummier ones.

We tend it carefully, using a cheap battery toothbrush to move around
the pollen. It is working. Right now there are about a dozen tomatoes
growing.

I have much to be thankful for.

I've long wondered whether this would be worth doing. Please keep us
informed as to your experiment's outcome, and what you've learned!

I'll be happy too.

{and I hope your volunteers are better than mine}

In season, I have a bed that is mostly volunteers. I have had
excellent luck with them - many varieties, although I cannot say that
any of the volunteers has bred true.