Old 24-11-2015, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default ID please

On 23/11/2015 09:13, Martin wrote:

The Dutch press calls them mice.
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...ected-by-mice/

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2...n_kapot__.html

Finally the slow wheels of my mind have come around. Back in January I
wrote this:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BChlm%C3%A4use

My wife's Collins dictionary leaves off the trailing 'e'.

There's an image there "Rötelmaus (Myodes glareolus)". That's the

same species name as the thing known in English as the Bank Vole.

The field or short-tailed vole is Microtus agrestis; that seems to be

the Erdmaus https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdmaus. ("Earth Mouse")

Note that Wühlmäuse has an umlaut on the a, and a trailing e, that is

missing from Erdmaus. Glad to see it isn't just English that has crazee
spielings . I'm also not clear what Rötel means. It's the name of the
iron mineral haematite, and in the plural is German measles... perhaps
russet or such.

If in German it's referred to as a mouse (maus) then I wouldn't be
surprised to find you use similar terminology. Is there such a word as
vole in Dutch?

Andy