Old 28-11-2015, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 21:19:25 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a
news client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it,
or not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

No kill files available on most online forums I've seem.

Is that English... do you mean no kill files 'are' available?
Usenet does not supply killfiles, killfiles are available on
newsreaders, typically the free news readers do not have killfile
ability. However there's really no need to use a killfile at
rec.gardens, spam is very rare, and posts are rather sparse, often
days pass with no posts... and it's pretty easy to not read posts
from those posters you'd rather not read, just delete those posts
unread.

Pretty clear english except for one typo. Show me a couple online
forums that offer kill files if you disagree. Obviously, I don't
mean online repetitions of usenet forums, but even there kill files
are not an option I've seen. \

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you
see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to
that effect.

That makes 2. Not exactly a demonstration of equal features between web page and
usenet discussion forums.