Old 30-11-2015, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

On 29/11/15 18:27, Gary Woods wrote:
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a "Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket sized
flatblade screwdriver.

These were used for years before the OED definition (see Phil's post),
but not for anything to do with gardening. They were used in chemistry
labs to get powders or other solid material from narrow-necked bottles.
If you want another one on your side of he pond, see he
http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Spatula-T...868340&sr=1-23

Otherwise, I had to admit it isn't going to get any warmer for a while, so
removed the cylinders from 2 automatic greenhouse vents and tied the opener
mechanism closed for the duration.

Leave the windows open and grow alpines!

--

Jeff