Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Compare Prices on Garden Supplies CAREFULLY

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
The Myth of Gypsum Magic: Adding gypsum to your yard or garden will
improve soil tilth and plant health
by Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate
Professor, Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State
University

interesting observations for sure.

as we have minimal funds to buy amendments i've gotten by
in large areas with some simple things. we have clay,
some sand and a hard pan layer from the area being used
for crops and a tree farm.

leveling to keep topsoil and organic materials in place.
growing green manure crops and chopping them back to
encourage worm life (we don't have grazing animals).

if you don't have night crawlers and they aren't
considered an invasive species then it can help to
add them (they'll need some time to get going and
should be introduced in an area where you can
disturb the soil as they normally grow their burrows
as they grow themselves).

takes some time to see results, but the price was
right.

songbird