Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
buckwheat buckwheat is offline

Default Coffee Grounds Question

How can one use coffee grounds in garden? I can get quite a lot of coffee
grounds from Starbucks, about 5 Gallon pail a day if I can use it. I
have a 1500 Sq Foot vegetable garden and I live in Central Michigan. The
soil in my garden is neutral to slightly acidic. I do add organic stuff to
the soil every year. Just a couple of months ago I tilled in some horse
manure. Not sure if taking the coffee grounds is a good or bad idea at this
point, but I have read that it is a good source of nitrogen and other
nutrients

I was considering composting the grounds and looking at one web site that
says mix 4 parts brown material to 1 part green (coffee grounds)
.......another says to mix equal parts brown and green. One says coffee
grounds are very acidic and the other says they can vary from slightly
alkaline to slightly acidic.

One web site says that a good option is to spread about an inch over an an
area then till into soil and that the grounds do a good job of conditioning
the soil and break down slowly. Another says never spread grounds in garden
they are way to acidic and must be composted first.

Right now the coffee grounds are going into trash. and is just a short
distance from me.

I am thinking of taking them and dumping into a pile, then spread it and
till it in in the spring.