Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Coffee Grounds Question

buckwheat wrote:

How can one use coffee grounds in garden? I can get quite a lot of coffee
grounds from Starbucks, about 5 Gallon pail a day if I can use it. I
have a 1500 Sq Foot vegetable garden and I live in Central Michigan.

I've been using all my household coffee grounds in my garden for more
than fifty years but I compost it along with the paper filters and all
other compostibles. A five gallon bucketful is a lot of grounds, I
probably don't have much more than that from home in a year, I only
brew ten cups a day. My vegetable garden is 2,500 sq ft, I would
definitely use that five gallon bucketful of grounds a day in my
garden, but I would compost them first... I'd probably just dump them
in a pile in a wooded area to compost and shovel them up as needed.
I'd be a sin to let them go into the trash, even if you didn't have a
vegetable garden they'd make great weed blocking mulch around trees,
shrubs, and in flower beds, and can only improve your soil. You live
too far from upstate NY or I'd be thrilled to take those grounds off
your hands... you literally have a gardener's brown gold mine.