Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/12/2015 20:44, Christina Websell wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:07:25 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Quite a while ago, I bought a neat little tool described as a
"Widger."
Just a slightly curved piece of stainless steel sort of the size of a
largish pen; different widths on the 2 ends; used for pricking out
seedlings and transplanting small stuff.
The name sounds very British - is it?
Previously (and still for very small seedlings), I used a pocket
sized
flatblade screwdriver.

See :- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...english/widger

Phil

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English"
English.

"Two nations divided by a common language"
(attribution uncertain, but probably not Churchill)

Americans think they speak English, I can assure them that they don't.

Glad that has been sorted out once and for all.

grin Americans used to speak English once: now it's American.