Old 06-12-2015, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Americans think they speak English,

I should probably remain silent and be just though a fool, but:

I never thought I spoke English, though I understand a lot of it passably.
Watching "Last of the Summer Wine" has taught me there are subsets of
English that might as well be Swahili!

Back in the 1960s, Wiltshire farm workers were unintelligible to
Londoners if they spoke as they did locally - a mere 80 miles way.
Most such variants have gone, killed by television, and even the
Cornish are now intelligible to Londoners. The major northern
dialects are pretty well the sole remaining ones.

And then there are things like Hinglish and Strine ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.