Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default AmericanEnglish again

On 12/6/2015 2:20 PM, David Hill wrote:
I remember going on a AAA course at Motspur park in the mid 50's. The
course was headed by Jeff Dyson who was the national head coach.
As he was lecturing he would often come out with "and I say unto thee".
On that course was a lad from Cornwall, it wasn't till the 3rd day I
realised he was talking English,between his accent and his dialect.
Also when I was market gardening outside Hastings in the early 60's we
had a driver come down form Fort William to pick up some stuff we were
selling. My Boss was Irish but had been a fighter pilot in the war,
Margaret was Sussex born and bred and owing to my Father being a Captain
in the RFA I had been to many parts of the UK when he was home and we
were on board ship with him.
I found myself acting as an interpretor between My Boss and the driver.
So much for a common language in the UK.

Years ago, I was offered a job in the personnel department of the
Scottish branch of a Texas company, because I could translate between
Texas English and Braid Scots.