Old 06-12-2015, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default AmericanEnglish again

On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 19:20:55 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Margaret was Sussex born and bred and owing to my Father being a Captain
in the RFA I had been to many parts of the UK when he was home and we
were on board ship with him.
I found myself acting as an interpretor between My Boss and the driver.
So much for a common language in the UK.

I had to do that between two Scotsman about 15 years ago which seemed
a strange thing for an Englisman to be doing.
One was young,Engineer from the PS Waverley as it happened and spoke
with a Strong Glasgow accent but I was quite used to talking with him
while the other had come from Galloway but had lived in Bristol since
the 50's although he was often away as he was in the Merchant Navy.
That working in engine rooms which caused hearing damage resulting in
having to use a hearing aid didn't help.

G.Harman