Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

On 06/12/15 22:34, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 6/12/2015 11:30 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 06/12/15 12:05, Fran Farmer wrote:
Do those places in the UK pronounce "bath" with a long "a" in an American
fashion or do you just mean that there are regional variations of the
way the
word "bath" is said?

In the NW at least it is pronounced with a short "a", whereas
in the south it is pronounced "barth" with a long "a".

When I used the term "long 'a'" I was trying to convey how I've heard Americans
say 'bath' which is less like 'barth' but more like the 'a' in 'bat'.

Ah, that's the opposite way round! The NW variant sounds like
"ba-th" (as in "bat"), OTOH the Bath natives pronounce
their town "bar-th", and southerners use that for everything
to do with washing. Except when they don't, e.g. bathe
is pronounced "bay-th".

I'm sure
there is some symbol that applies and which would tell more knowledgeable peeps
instantly how I menat it to sound, but every time I've tried to figure out what
my dictionary means by it's symbols, I've lost the will to live.

Just so, although I'm sure there's a website somewhere which
converts, say, bæθ fənɛtɪks into the sounds for "bath phonetics".

I have no idea how it is pronounced in Glaswegian or Geordie.

:-)) Regional dialects are very interesting IMO

"Interesting" in the Chinese sense

Then you get into the downright perverse, e.g. those at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...o nunciations
which has both UK and US pitfalls.