Old 07-12-2015, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have quite a few American friends and we disagree all the time about
their
idea of English and mine. American English is very different from
"English" English.

Sorry, that is complete nonsense.
Ask someone if a book they are reading was published in the UK or US,
and I'll guarantee they will have no idea 90% of the time.
The language spoken in the two countries is essentially identical.
I don't know why people make up this pretence
that there is a great difference between them.
Even the accents are converging,
as are accents within the UK.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Disagree. The Harry Potter books were pages shorter when they took out the
"u"s in colour, behaviour, etc. for Americans.
I'm not saying that Americans don't speak English (as such) it's just that
it's their version. It's American. I'm not trying to horrible about it.