Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default AmericanEnglish again

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 13:20:19 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Actually, I think color is almost acceptable in the UK;

Not to me

Nor to me.

I think if you are living in a coding environment
you have to write "color", and then after a time it seems normal
to write it that way even if not coding.

I lived in a coding environment. I don't recall ever writing "color".

The languages, libraries etc. where 'color' is a name are a minority,
but it is not a small minority. I am disinclined to do a check of
a selection of them to estimate the proportion. While there have
been some where 'colour' was a name, I know of none that survive in
active use today.

However, it is NOT true that most reasonably literate users of the
word 'colour' change their usage as a result of using such environments,
and it is common for the comments to use 'colour' except when referring
to the name.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.