Old 01-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Pomegranate training

I am treating it as an indoor tree.
As much as I cut back, it keeps sending its branches straight up, and it
doesn't back-bud. The main trunk also does not thicken appreciably.

Yup, that's what pomegranates do. Your only hope is to plant it in an oversized
nursery pot & see if that will do anything for the trunk. To get more
branching, about all you can do is cut back the top & use a branch as a new
leader. I tried thread grafting, but that didn't work either. You need to keep
trimming off those vertical shoots, except in the summer when you want it to
bloom.
Pomegranate is a subtropical & does better with a winter rest. If you can't put
it outdoors, next winter strip off the leaves & put it in the refrigerator for
a month or two.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."