Old 15-12-2015, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Rain

On 12/14/2015 03:31 PM, George Shirley wrote:
Had a dry day today so were able to get out in the garden without
getting wet. Just poked around a bit to see how things were going and
the garden is very lush. It should be with all the rain we received
yesterday. Was watching the weather man a little while ago, he said we
have received 67.8 inches of rain this year. Thankfully we didn't get
the nearly seven feet all at once. A couple of rain storms that dumped
at least eighteen inches in 24 hours was enough.

Put up some 4 pints of kumquat marmalade last week, our tree is not
growing much since we put in in 2013. Hopefully we will be able to
change that. I am going to deep fertilize the fruit trees this coming
spring in hopes the roots will go deeper into what passes for soil here.
I do miss the ancient sand dune we lived on in Louisiana, it was covered
with about twenty feet of fertile soil from the forests that grew there
for thousands of years.

We have vacuum bags of sweet chilies, squash, zucchini, etc. plus home
canned green beans and other veggies to carry us through until spring.
Spring here usually starts in late February to early March so it won't
be long until the spring garden goes in.

George

Hi George,

Our average rain fall is usually around seven inches.

67.8 inches !??! ¡Ay, caramba!

Do you ever bother to wash your car?

-T

I only have one container of vegis in the freezer from
this years crop. You are in inspiration.