Old 15-12-2015, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default To compost or not?

On 14/12/2015 22:51, Roger Tonkin wrote:

We recently had an ammount of cooked green veg, cabbage etc
left over from a dinner party.I wanted to put it on the compost
heap, but, swmbo said that you can not compost cooked food. Who
is right? To my mind whilst the texture may have changed and a
few additives like salt included basically raw & cooked are the
same!

It is only a problem if there is fat or meat in it since you don't want
rats or foxes digging in your compost heap. Cooked vegetables are fine.

I won't put raw onion waste on mine for fear of introducing white rot or
raw brassicas for introducing club root.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown