Old 15-12-2015, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default To compost or not?

David Hill wrote:
On 15/12/2015 20:21, Phil L wrote:
Roger Tonkin wrote:
We recently had an ammount of cooked green veg, cabbage etc
left over from a dinner party.I wanted to put it on the compost
heap, but, swmbo said that you can not compost cooked food. Who
is right? To my mind whilst the texture may have changed and a
few additives like salt included basically raw & cooked are the
same!

I only compost what my worms can eat, contents of teabags, raw,
finely chopped peelings and leaves, newspapers etc.
Never tried them with anything cooked as i tend to add salt to
things and I don't think they'd eat it.
They don't like onions or citrus fruits.

I get about 40 litres of top notch compost and about 4KG of worms for
fishing every year.

The compost is superior to anything you can buy - if used neat, it
outperforms miracle-gro compost by a mile, but i usually mix it
50/50 with cheap no-name compost

Ah!
But do the worms catch fish?

I catch the fish, the worms just help :-) - I take them to France twice a
year and bring back what i don't drown, I've landed several 30lb+ carp on
them. Worms in France are about 50p each (pot of ten for six Euros) which
is why mine are so well travelled.