Old 16-12-2015, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default To compost or not?

Hi everyone.

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 20:21:21 -0000,
Phil L wrote:
I only compost what my worms can eat, contents of teabags, raw, finely
chopped peelings and leaves, newspapers etc.
Never tried them with anything cooked as i tend to add salt to things and I
don't think they'd eat it.

From my experience, the salt that you enjoy in your meals is nothing
compared to the compostable material that you put on your compost, the
worms do not care. Anyway, it is not the worms that eat your
vegetables, your meat or whatever you put on the compost. The tiny
little creatures which do most of the work, and by the way suffer most
of all from all mistreatment of the soil, are invisible to our eyes. The
worms take over long afterwards...

They don't like onions or citrus fruits.

I never asked any of the tennants of our compost heap, but both, onions
and citrus fruits vanish in our compost. The problem of citrus fruits is
complex. You cannot put them all in the same bucket and I do not want to
start a religious war.

That is about the most intelligent thing, that I can say about
composting. Know what you have and adapt to the environment that your
compost will live in.

About all that you mention in this thread *is* compostable. The problem
with *my* weeds is, that *I* do not want to survey the temperature at
the interior of the compost heap. So *I* do *not* put weeds on the
compost. If you can and have the time to survey the decaying process,
there is no reason not to do so. Rats and mice are not a problem for me,
because the compost is far away from the house and even at a distance
from the vegetable garden. Would I eat any more meat or saussage, there
would be a chance, that you found a little of both on the heap; although
this is highly improbable now. Also, there are predators which appear to
like that corner of our propriety. Why bereave them of that kind of easy
prey...

(...)
The compost is superior to anything you can buy - if used neat, it
outperforms miracle-gro compost by a mile, but i usually mix it 50/50 with
cheap no-name compost

If you can have dung from a nearby farm and can leave it three to six
months to compost either, the material will be unbeatable. ;-)

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
New Key as of autumn 2015: