Old 20-12-2015, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Pinnell[_3_] Terry Pinnell[_3_] is offline

Default Wild flower identities?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

On 18/12/2015 09:29, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm including a few photos of wild flowers in a DVD I'm making. Taken
by my wife during our walking holiday in Devon last summer. Would like
to add name captions so would much appreciate identification please.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...133834-JCz.jpg

A labiate. (Definitely not Galeopsis; I'd go for Thymus polytrichus, but
none of the thymes grow round here, and I'm not familiar with them.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-120142-JC.JPG

Yes, Saponaria officinalis (note spelling).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...122912-JCp.jpg

Oenothera biennis agg. (I don't think it's O. elata, which doesn't grow
wild in Britain, but you need a closer look - and a guidebook to hand -
to tell which one it is.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...120600-JCc.jpg

Yes, Echium vulgare.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...111514-JCz.jpg

Jasione montana. (Scabiosa columbaria has zygomorphic flowers and
pseudo-radiate heads; Succisa pratensis is more easily confused with
Jasione, but has hammer-like anthers, and a less compact habit. Jasione
is rare up here - I know 3 sites and it's not always present in one of
them - but I understand it to be quite common in the southwest.)

In the vernacular, thyme (?), soapwort, evening primrose, viper's
bugloss and sheeps bit.

Many thanks all, much appreciated!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK