Old 21-12-2015, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Correct spelling: "veggie" or "vegie"?

On 12/20/2015 11:56 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 February 1998 19:00:00 UTC+11, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm in Australia and want to clarify with some Americans about the
spelling of "veggie/vegie". Here we would use the word "vegie", but
I've noticed Americans using the double g. What do Americans most
commonly use: vegie or veggie?

Many thanks

Gavin Atkinson

I really would have to be 'Vegie' as a double 'g' would be pronounced with a soft g sound as in 'begging' or 'leggings', not a hard g as in vegetable.
simple rules of English

Most Americans I know use "veggie." As in "Eat your veggies kid." In my
family we use the correct word, vegetables.

Aussies always did talk funny as far as most Americans are concerned.
Worked with a lot of them overseas and it took a bit to really
understand the Aussie version of English. Of course many Brits had a
strange version of the English language too, particularly the Scots. G

George
Native American, Native Texan, World Traveler, Old Geezer