Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Rhubarb

On 02/01/2016 16:16, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:29:25 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I have a large clump of ruhbarb that I was intending to lift
during the winter, split it up and distribute some to friends,
leaving it out in the frost for a bit, then replanting.

However, with all the rain and mild weather, it is now begining
to show signs of growth, so can I still split it up?

Mines is growing fast. I would risk splitting it despite the weather.
I know it should be split in Winter but it's very resistant to a bit
of violence!

Mine (unforced) had enough shoots for rhubarb crumble instead of Xmas
pudding if we had wanted. Daffodil heads are turning down and we had the
wrong sort of Christmas roses out in flower though a bit wet!

Rhubarb is pretty robust so I would split it if you need to.

Still got a few pelargoniums in flower outside in hanging baskets
although they are looking more than a bit bedraggled.

I also have newly germinated weeds like grass, bittercress and groundsel
actively growing with some in flower!

For once my Christmas cactus was out for Xmas - the indoor hyacinths are
late though they didn't seem to really think they had had a winter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown