Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Rhubarb

On 04/01/2016 10:03, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Rhubarb is pretty robust so I would split it if you need to.

What it can't take is hot, dry summers. I had some for a bit, but
it never thrived and died when we had a serious of very dry (for
the UK) summers.

I'd believe it would struggle a bit on sandy soils and how summers but
once properly established the root/rhizome seems to become very bulky
and extensive almost in the same vein as caudiciform succulents.

It thrives on my heavy clay soil whatever the weather.

I started again about 5 years back because we
seemed to be having a spell of wet summers, and it's growing like
b*gg*ry.

It stays put but gets bigger at a fair old rate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown