Old 04-01-2016, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Rhubarb is pretty robust so I would split it if you need to.

What it can't take is hot, dry summers. I had some for a bit, but
it never thrived and died when we had a serious of very dry (for
the UK) summers.

I'd believe it would struggle a bit on sandy soils and how summers but
once properly established the root/rhizome seems to become very bulky
and extensive almost in the same vein as caudiciform succulents.

It thrives on my heavy clay soil whatever the weather.

We have had no trouble growing rhubarb in sandy soil. It doesn't get much more
sandy than here. The sand goes down to at least 30 metres.

Mine is sandy, too, but not that deep. I have no trouble at present
but, back in the 1980s, we had several summers with months of
negligible rainfall and hot (by UK standards) sun. The soil
dessicated to 2" down, and was dry at least 2' down, which did for
the rhubarb.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.