Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Ruth Stout , here I come

I have her book somewhere , but remember the basics . Next summer I will be
embarking on a no-till project
I do this partly because the soil is poor and partly because I'm on a
slope . I have figured out that my steadily declining yields are because
I've allowed the best part of my soil wash away ... this year will see
terraces and dedicated walkways to prevent soil compaction . I'll also be
mulching heavily both as a weed control measure and to add organic matter to
the soil . Samples will soon be sent off to the county ag office for soil
analysis - can't amend until you know what you lack ! I'll also be copying a
raised-bed technique and "compartmenting" areas just big enough that I can
just reach the center and planting stuff closer together . I need to do some
studying on companion planting - not so much to find what does well together
but to determine what will NOT grow with what .
I'm also not planning on starting my seedlings quite as early this year
Snag