Old 05-01-2016, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Ruth Stout , here I come

George Shirley wrote:
On 1/4/2016 5:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I have her book somewhere , but remember the basics . Next summer I
will be embarking on a no-till project
I do this partly because the soil is poor and partly because I'm
on a slope . I have figured out that my steadily declining yields
are because I've allowed the best part of my soil wash away ... this
year will see terraces and dedicated walkways to prevent soil
compaction . I'll also be mulching heavily both as a weed control
measure and to add organic matter to the soil . Samples will soon be
sent off to the county ag office for soil analysis - can't amend
until you know what you lack ! I'll also be copying a raised-bed
technique and "compartmenting" areas just big enough that I can just
reach the center and planting stuff closer together . I need to do
some studying on companion planting - not so much to find what does
well together but to determine what will NOT grow with what . I'm
also not planning on starting my seedlings quite as early this year

We're still harvesting sweet chilies and eggplant Terry. Low this
morning was about 39F then warmed up to high fifties. Still cold to me
when it gets below about 80F.

It's already down to 26° here headed for a low of 22° - according to
Weather.com and it's usually about 3-5° colder up here than down in town .
I've recorded temps in the last few days as low as 18° , and now that winter
is here that will be closer to the normal overnight temps .

We're on flat ground and garden in above ground boxes, 4' by 16' and
two that are 4 by 8. Plus the entire fence perimeter inside the
backyard has plantings also.

Sounds like you've got a plan now, seems like a lot of work too.

Not as much work as it may seem , I try to only walk in specific places so
I don't compact the soil . Just a matter of driving pegs and running strings
to define the growing areas . I've already got most of it semi-terraced , I
just need to straighten the edges out some .
I'm hoping doing this will also help me to control the grass that has been
such a problem the last 2 summers . I have come to realize that tilling it
under just plants all those seeds it made last year ... last week I went
over the worst patches with a foundry burner (like a weed burner just
smaller) and burned as much of that dried grass as I could . I'll probably
try to burn some more before spring gets here .
--
Snag