Old 05-01-2016, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate in winter

On 05/01/16 14:20, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Does anyone know how long it takes to work at this time of year?
My guess is 1-2 months, but i could be wildly wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Goolge can help. This is from
http://www.smallgrains.org/springwh/...weed/weed.html
"9. Glyphosate applied in cool/cold weather will kill weeds – it just
takes longer. Ideal temperatures for applying most POST herbicides are
between 65 and 85 F. Weeds may be killed slower when temperatures remain
below 50 F. Cold weather is a stress to plants. AMS and NIS can be used
overcome the reduced control of stressed plants. Absorbed glyphosate
will remain in the plant until warm temperatures cause weeds to resume
glyphosate translocation to growing points." (NB AMS = Ammonium sulfate;
NIS = Nonionic surfactant)

What I find most interesting here is something I've often wondered
about, and has been answered by the final sentence. It's something I've
hoped would be true, especially in relation to trying to eradicate
Spanish bluebell. If sprayed several times in spring and summer, would
the glyphosate be retained in the bulbs and reactivated when the bulb
comes into growth the next spring?

--

Jeff