Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Ruth Stout , here I come

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:
studying on companion planting - not so much to find what does well together
but to determine what will NOT grow with what .

Nudged me along a bit and I went looking for free/open source planning
software (other than graph paper and #2 pencil) that appeared to
function and be getting worked on still (which came after looking at a
few that didn't function so well and had a corresponding considerable
age since last update.)

Currently playing with this one; does seem to have +/- companion plant
info, also supposed to inform about good/bad rotation planting choices
with multiple years data entered (which I haven't got to yet - though
there's remarkably little data for last year here, when bleep-all would
be what we did in the garden other than grow weeds and a very few other
things, and to complicate matters I'm trying to change-up the bedding
for next year and going forward.)

"Kitchen Garden Aid" on sourceforge. A Java-based thing (Java 7), which
will make some folks avoid it, but which also makes it cross-platform.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kitchengarden/

I feel some holes (such as being able to put in specific varieties for
record-keeping at least, and no sign that it groks the typical
spread/scale of a plant. or gives any guidance for number per square
foot), but I haven't looked very carefully to see if they are just
interface issues or holes, and at least it is being worked on, so they
might get dealt with. It is rather square grid oriented, coming from
square foot gardening. Overall garden size is not something you can
enter to start, you just need to keep putting things in edge cells to
expand the grid (or zoom out to a small magnification, which is clunky
but does eventually work.) It does save files locally (they are also
pushing a variant that shares it to a cloud server, but that's not my
preference.) I haven't tried printing from it yet. so I don't know how
well that works or not.

This is one of the ones that looks potentially interesting but seems a
bit moribund (May 24, 2013), if aimed a bit more at farms:
https://code.google.com/p/cropplanning/ I suppose it's also moribund by
virtue of being at google code, but I haven't found it updated elsewhere.