Old 01-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Minteeleaf

Default Newbie question about shade

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 01:51:24 -0500, "Cindy"
wrote:

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front, on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

I truly hope someone has some good suggestions.

Have you a spot for container gardening? Maybe at the top
of the hill?

Last summer, we grew the following in containers:

various lettuces
green peppers
bok choy
collard greens
cherry tomato
beets
basil

I could have grown a lot more in containers, but I'm
fortunate to also have a reasonable amount of flat sunny
space for an in-ground garden.

The container gardening was VERY successful and very easy to
maintain, I'll grow more things in containers this year.

Pat

Pat, what containers did you grow the lettuces in?
How deep, how wide? How many times a day did you water,
& what varieties?

I know you had a success story with this, & I'd really like to know.
DH is a salad lover.

Thanks for input.
Minteeleaf