Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Thinning out Iris plants

"Michael Uplawski" wrote
Good afternoon,

In our domestic wet park (« phytoépuration »), we have combined Iris («
Iris des Marais »), Lythrum salicaria and Scirpus...

The time has come that I have to thin out the Iris for the first time,
as they have become very massive. The rule is to eliminate half of the
plants. Now I have my first encounter with the impressing rhizome of the
aquatic Iris and wonder if I can cut it in half without hurting what
remains of the plant, or if there is any best way to do that.

An alternative would be to take out all the Iris, separate them
carefully (how?) and replant just a few, but this would be quite a
chore.

Please do not respond with the recommendation to get rid of the Iris.
They are isolated from the rest of the terrain in a basin and they are a
huge success as host of water-cleaning bacteria, apart from their
beauty... ;-)

Water plants should only be split when in good growth. The medium they grow
in is liable to cause rot if the plant is dormant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.