Old 09-01-2016, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Malcolm Race
writes

My rhubarb is beginning to grow so with frosts forecast, is it worth
covering it with fleece?

I can only offer my own experience, here in Aberdeenshire. The rhubarb
usually appears above ground in January, and I leave it to itself. It
grows well every year, despite the best that NE Scottish weather can
throw at it. Minus two point something this morning, and snowing as I
type this, but I doubt the rhubarb will care :-)

Its new growth well may be killed, but that's not a big deal to
a plant that throws as many new shoots as it does. Mine is shooting
(which is unusual for me), but I propose to NOT cover it until it
has been cut back. I may lose it, but I very much doubt it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.