Old 14-01-2016, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Preserving garlic

On 15/01/2016 9:21 AM, Je�us wrote:
I'm looking for some alternative ways to preserve garlic. I've done it
in oil before

Apparently that is not recommended at all. Botulism is a possibility in
garlic in oil or so I've read. Bits of mine went a funny turquoise
colour when I did it in oil and that put me right off.

but am interested in other methods. My favourite way is
to simply hang the bulbs in a cool, dark and dry place, but that only
seems to work for 8 months or so before it deteriorates and I'd like
to make it last until next harvest. Has anyone tried freezing the
cloves, either peeled or unpeeled? If so, what is it like after
thawing. TIA for any ideas.

I haven't tried it but I suspect that pulverising it (the chef's way
with the side of a knife and salt) and then freezing in it tiny portions
would work.

I managed to buy very tiny plastic containers with snap on lids designed
for carting small amounts of salad dressing away from home and they
would be ideal - they'd hold about a tablespooon full.