Old 16-01-2016, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing a tree

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 16/01/2016 9:18 AM, P. Alves wrote:
Hi. I have a very old willow next to a well that 3 professionals

recommend to be removed.

I would like to put some other tree there, but I have some requisites:
. Provide good shade in summer
. Roots no invasive, particularly with the well there
. Relative fast growing or easy to buy in bigger sizes
. If possible nice leaves, flowers or fruits.

Any suggestions?

How much space do you have? I plant oaks when I want a quick non native
plant but then I have lots of space for them.

We have a walnut used for exactly that purpose. I removed its lower
branches as it grew, so it has a most un-walnut shape, but that
allows the grass to grow underneath and plenty of headroom. A pity
about the leaf litter. But no worthwhile tree will provide much
shade in under a decade outside the humid tropics - our walnut is
the best part of 35 years old now. And all tree roots are invasive,
to some extent, though willow and birch are particularly bad.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.