Old 18-01-2016, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ruth Stout , here I come

On 1/18/2016 5:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Thanks Derald ! Lots of good info there . My biggest problem here is
that I've let what decent soil I have get washed downhill . Thus the
terraces , and heavy mulch to help keep rainwater from washing what
I do have left away - and to get that organic stuff into the soil .
I will till this year to incorporate what organics I have into the
soil and to be sure I start with it loose . Also to finish defining
the terraces .

sometimes people dig up the soil at the bottom of the hill
and haul it up to the top again.

is the cold weather getting down your ways?

songbird

Up here they call it "ass-bitin' cold ". It was around 15° this morning at
3 when I was outside trying to get the generator running because the power
was out . With around 2" of fresh snow on the ground ...

39F this morning upon rising, now it's lots of sunshine and in the low
sixties. Winter here should be over in a few weeks, maybe sooner. Almost
time to put in the spring garden. Have a couple of huge cabbage heads to
harvest very soon, harvested a six lb cauliflower head last week, good
thing my wife likes the stuff. Her cauliflower soup does manage to stink
up the kitchen. Bah!