Old 19-01-2016, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Ruth Stout , here I come

George Shirley wrote:
On 1/19/2016 8:51 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:

uhg! that's about what it has been today. night time temps
are in the single digits. we've sometimes been able to get
out for some walks but i hate it when the eyelashes freeze
together when you blink.

I hate it more when my breath condenses and freezes on my beard
and 'stach .

i wear a short round scarf (call it the foreskin )
which is also thick so that the air going out preheats the
air breathed in. saves a lot of sinus and lung troubles
for me.

i've already put winter goggles on the list for our
next outing to the stores as i really would like to be
able to see when i'm walking...

songbird

Look around for one of those military surplus felt face masks. We used
those anytime we were topside on a destroyer in the Arctic. Beat
frozen nose hair and eyebrow's, not to mention my 'stache. I think
I've mentioned before how much I hate cold weather. G

49F out this morning and a lot of sunshine, forecast for mucho rain
coming though. Won't be long before spring is here in SE Texas.
Finally pulled up the eggplants, the sweet chilies are still
producing and haven't been frostbitten as yet.

Won't be long until the fruit trees are blooming and getting leaves
on.

I have one of those full face things , I wear it when I ride the
motorcycle in subfreezing temps . It's up to 26° here , predictred high of
32° but I don't think it'll make that up here in The Holler . And there's a
90% chance for 1-3" of snow tonight ...
Fruit trees - mine have been in the ground for 1 and 2 years , they aren't
doing so well. Suggestions for a fertilizer that's eco-friendly ? These have
never had anything but a little fish emulsion last summer , and I'd like to
see them grow more , they haven't gottan any bigger since they were planted
..
--
Snag