Old 20-01-2016, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Replacing a tree

On 20/01/2016 11:21, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:09:17 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

On 19/01/2016 21:39, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/01/2016 15:50, Emery Davis wrote:
Bear in mind that walnuts take many years to fruit, I have one planted
in '93 (Franchette) that only has a few nuts, and another from 2002 that
has no sign of 'em.

That could be your climate.

We've got a catalpa, and it's done nothing in the two years we've been
here. We know what they _ought_ to look like, we've seen them in France.
He might have better luck with a walnut where he is.

But that's a though, Snr Alves - how about a catalpa? They don't like
wind BTW.

Andy

We have a couple of American walnuts in our local park. Very fussy about
fruiting. Usually nothing, but other years plentiful. The hulls stain
your skin a rather nice tan colour

In Victorian novels British spies in India always stained their skin with
walnuts.

When I was a kid we had a walnut tree in our garden in Reading. It had lots of
nuts every year. Assuming it was planted when the house was new or later, it
must have been less than 30 years old.

It's the green outer case that delivers the dye. I've seen an infusion
in alcohol, sold as a cure for something or another, that's bright
green. Strange that.