Old 20-01-2016, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing a tree

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:23:09 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:45:59 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Albizia julibrissin "Rosea' (One of my favourites which is why I have
one here from seed)

I read that it won't tolerate frost. Where are you? Surely 'W of London'
gets frosts!

No, it can take quite hard ones - IF the summer before is long and hot
enough! It's one of the plants that is hardy in Arnold Arboretum but
not Kew. I had one, from seed, but it never thrived outside and
eventually died.

Exactly, it doesn't like the wet, and needs to harden new growth. We had
one when I was a child outside of New York, where the winters are very
hard, but I have been able to grow it in Normandy.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy