Old 26-01-2016, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - Still having computer problems

On 26/01/2016 22:34, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/01/16 20:23, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,
all is working and good!

However the experience has left me nervous of having no back up machine
sitting switched off but ready to go with windows 7 on it, and I thought
it would be handy to test run my backups to make sure they worked.

I thought I would resurrect my old machine, started off renewing the
hard drive but that didnt clear the problem (it is not going through the
boot sequence tries to start windows but dumps you into the repair
screen and then retries and keeps going in cycles) so I assumed it must
be the motherboard or processor, so I have just fitted a new one of
those but it still has exactly the same problem.

I should say the Hard drive (s) I have tried all work fine and boot up
on other machines

Can a dodgy power supply cause these sort of problems? if not what is it
likely to be?

At this stage I realize it would have been easier (and quicker) to just
buy a second working machine but I was lured into this course of action
and am now being stubborn and dont want to be beaten!

My fixation in windows 7 is just because its the last version that my
Label station printer software works on and changing to the new software
would involve rewriting thousands of Labels

Charlie, I hesitate to mention Linux, but it is just possible that your
label program will run in Wine under Linux. It might be worth Googling
to see if anyone has tried it.

By the way, as far as I understand, you won't be able to buy a new
computer with Windows 7 on it after 31 October.

I am totally unfamiliar with Linux, not sure how Liz would take to
another change, she is still mourning the passing of Vista!

Its not really about how good some of this stuff is but how used to it
you get, even the worst software you know is better than the best you
don't :~)

I am hoping I can keep going with 7 until I no longer need the printer!!

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk