Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Dahlias

I know it is a funny subject at this time of year, but in my
garage I have about 20 plants from last year, dug in to autumn
and left upside down to dry. Only trouble is that I usually
after a few days wash them to remove most of the soil and then
let them dry throughly. This year due to the rain and other
thing I did not wash them, so I have a number of solid heavy
blocks of Dahlia tuber and soil. I've started trying to tease
out the soil from the smaller ones, but he larger ones are too
heavy to handle and you can not get into the middle without
damaging the tubers.

Would it be safe to wash them at this time of the year, or
would they take that as a sign of spring and start shooting?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales