Old 04-02-2016, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Holly in shade?

In article , lalaw44
@hotmail.com says...

I have a medium size (4 feet tall/across) variegated holly bush that I'd
like to move to a part of the garden which is in the shadow of the north
wall of the house, which gets little direct sunlight until mid-summer.
Will the holly suffer from this? Should I find somewhere else for it?

Green hollies will certainly grow flower and fruit in shade (they
will self seed in deciduous woodland and under dense hedges). My
neighbour has a cracking green holly 20 ft high, in a very shady spot on
our boundary; I see more of it than he does. He has just felled the
monster ash tree beside it so I look forward to even heavier crops of
berries on the holly.

Whether a holly that size will transplant successfully, I don't know.
IME even very small all-green transplanted seedlings sulk for a year or
two before they start growing, so you may have to be patient.

Some years ago I planted a pot-grown variegated holly in the corner of
the garden. It was very slow to get going until last year
it suddenly shot up 18 unches.

Janet.