Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedge ideas - windy location, acidic soil, mild climate

On 2/4/2016 2:02 PM, kjjaw wrote:
We would like to plant a hedge next to the road on our property. It
doesn't need to be a very big hedge. It is under a pine tree, so the
soil is quite acidic with lots of pine needles. Next to/On top of a
granite wall, so better not to have large roots that would disrupt this.
The climate is mild (Channel Islands), but we are on a hill and it can
be very exposed/windy. Other parts of the wall have a Fuschia hedge,
which does well, but is further away from the tree and very thin in
winter. We would prefer to have something that is either green all year,
or has a lot more density (so the backyard is a little more sheltered
and private). Be great if the hedge can establish itself within a couple
of years or so. The climate here means things do tend to grow quickly.

Any recommendations/ideas? We have a big bay that seems to be ok in
these conditions and I considered making a bay hedge, but that might be
quite a slow grower?

Thanks!

Kaspar

Japanese boxwood
dwarf Burford holly (Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii Nana')

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see