Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Disappearing lawn

On Friday, 5 February 2016 17:56:12 UTC, Robert Harvey wrote:

You mention leatherjackets, which is plausible, though this would be a
major infestation.

I've just dug out a mugful of soil and found 2-3 grubs. If that density is uniform I guess this could be regarded as 'major'?

I suspect waterlogging. How wet did it get in winter?
Mine often has standing water & ends up with bare patches.

It certainly felt like it didn't stop raining, however I don't think we ever saw standing water - but then we didn't really go in to the garden given how unappealing it is looking!

How long do you cut it? Some grasses don't like being scalped.

Rolawn recommend 25mm for their turf but I always found that felt like scalping and so went for 30mm. I do recall wondering if I had cut it too short for its last-cut-before-Winter trim though (I can't remember when that was now).

Mathew