Old 18-02-2016, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Orchid "forest"

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

I received 3 Trader Joe-type orchids for my
birthday party, and would like to combine
them in one container for a sort of orchid "forest".

Have never dealt with orchids before,
so wonder if my plan is even feasible.

Would like to remove them from their original
(small) pots and transplant them together in one large,
handsome, SHALLOW pot.

Questions:

1. Can this kind of TJ orchid take transplanting?

2. If so, how far apart must 3 plants be?

3. How deep must soil/orchid mix be? Ideally, the
look I want is shallow, but would this work?

4. Should I add (good) garden dirt to the orchid
mix from original pots?

Any wisdom, links, etc. gratefully accepted.

I'm growing Stop and Shop orchids.
I have one plant blooming for the 4th time now.
Each year about XMAS they start then bloom for 3 months or so.
So, well worth keeping and growing.

You never use soil with orchids, the plants don't like it and
will not get any nutrients that way. The roots need access to
air. You'll find orchid planting medium in most garden stores.

I don't know how you are going to put 3 plants in one container
you need a container like the one the plant came in.
The water has to run through the plant and out the bottom.

If you can find the right container, 3 plants together should
not be a problem.

Transplanting is a normal part of maintenance.

--
Dan Espen