Old 19-02-2016, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Orchid "forest"

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:39:28 -0800 (PST), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

I received 3 Trader Joe-type orchids for my
birthday party, and would like to combine
them in one container for a sort of orchid "forest".

Have never dealt with orchids before,
so wonder if my plan is even feasible.

Would like to remove them from their original
(small) pots and transplant them together in one large,
handsome, SHALLOW pot.

Questions:

1. Can this kind of TJ orchid take transplanting?

2. If so, how far apart must 3 plants be?

3. How deep must soil/orchid mix be? Ideally, the
look I want is shallow, but would this work?

4. Should I add (good) garden dirt to the orchid
mix from original pots?

Any wisdom, links, etc. gratefully accepted.

HB

There are more than 2500 species of orchids. Even TJ's sells
different species.

What kind did you receive?