Old 19-02-2016, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Orchid "forest"

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:28:55 -0800 (PST), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

Thanks to all for generous helpings of wisdom.

My harebrained scheme for a shallow "forest" is a non-starter, which I could have figured out by measuring the 3 ceramic containers. Pots are 4.5, 5, and 6" high. One is 5" wide, one 4, and one 3".

Unless I find a majestic container with high enough walls to contain all 3, the "forest" will have to exist on the wide glass "platter" where it is now.

*Two are Phala; the 3rd has no ID. Is it safe to conclude it's also Phala?

**I had some very old orchid medium out in back, but maybe I should get new?

***Don't understand David's comment: "The roots need access to air." Do you mean access from ABOVE via planting medium? How else would roots get air if pot is sitting on [surface]?

****Tag says, Continuing ca "After the last flower expires, cut the spike above the node from which the 1st flower appeared. A new spike can branch off within weeks.

Alternatively, remove the flower spike entirely to allow the plan to recover and form a new spike in 3-4 months."

DUH?!

This might be a steep learning curve g

Tx to all

HB

Phals grow like weeds, are very resilient, and your biggest trick will
be in betting it to re-bloom down the line.

Insofar as the mystery orchid, can you take a photo and post it
somewhere where we can take a look at it? TJ's sells more than phals.
I actually got one of my most prolific cymbidiums (think prom corsage)
from there. Many times they have 3 or 4 types for sale, the phals,
oncidiums, dendrobiums, paphs...

One other thing to note about the kinds of orchids one finds at places
such as TJ's, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, etc ---they are grown to be
sold at peak bloom. They may not be potted correctly, they may be
color-tinted, mis-marked, etc.

Basically, you have another option- think of these as you would a
bouquet unless you really want to invest the time, effort, and cost in
getting proper pots, medium, fertilizer, and providing a space with
the correct light and temp. They will bloom or carry current bloom for
quite a while, enjoy them while you can, then as with a dying bouquet,
chuck it. No, I am no advising you to take that as a primary route,
far be it from me, an orchid nut, to discourage anyone from the habit,
but it is just a thought.