Old 25-02-2016, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Here comes Spring !

Derald wrote:
The Cook wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of
'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .

I'm not so sure about spring since we had snow here at the beginning
of the week. Finally go to the store to get some onion seeds
yesterday and put 144 seeds into the starter trays. If it doesn't
snow again next week I will start a few other things.

Down here, we've had a warm winter. It's warm now but in no way
"feels" like spring yet. Weather geeks're calling for rain and another
chilly snap within the next few days. Off of your snow, no doubt;
thanks a bunch.... My onions (Red Creole) are coming along nicely.
Bulbing onion seeds are planted in late fall and transplants (as well as
"sets") go into the garden in December or January. Planted 260+ "Little
Marvel" pea seeds this morning with more planned for RSN. They're hardy
to the temperatures we're likely to get this late and solar gain in the
beds helps, too. Never did get cold enough this year to seriously
damage the fall-planted peas; I'm still picking from them, although,
yield has fallen a bit. Waiting for sure-enough warm weather when I can
get some real peas and some okra into the ground; yummmm.

haha, it is still winter up here. went from relatively
nice weather Tues where i was outside with only one long
shirt on (42F and sunny) to snowstorm yesterday. i expected
to wake up today to more blowing snow and more coming down
and the forecast says we may pick up another inch, but the
worst of it is over for now. it went from all brown to
white. which since it is still winter is what it should be.
about a foot of heavy snow is my guess. we'll be doing
some shoveling today. and yes, i'm glad, i hate doing
useless exercise, snow shoveling is good exercise and my
back needs some amount of this sort of work to be happy.

having some good cold weather right now is needed to keep
the trees from budding out and flowering too early.

songbird