Old 25-02-2016, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what will you do differently?

On 2/25/2016 7:15 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 11:41:13 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
this year?

i have a bit of brush clearing to do and
perhaps transplanting some trees.

the rest of the gardens are fairly done and
not too much to change now. only one spot
inside the fence will need much work as we've
removed the pathway to combine two smaller
patches. we'll have to redo those edges with
something. the hardest part is already done
(getting the rocks and crushed limestone moved
out of the way).

i'm not sure if this is the light at the end
of the tunnel or not, but this year is looking
good because without having big projects hanging
over my head i'll be doing more weeding and
redoing of existing places.

but i'm not going to say any of this to Ma
because i know there's plenty of other projects
out there to work on if i feel like it... we
could redo the berm and take down the large
white pine tree that is too close to the house
before it becomes even a worse problem than it
already is. shhhh! mums the word...

songbird

I retired at the end of 2015, so this will be my first gardening season where I have enough spare time to keep up with the weeds in the vegetable garden. I also want to give the wild rice another try. I built a couple of small rice paddies downhill from the pond a few years ago but they kept getting overrun with weeds.

Paul

Welcome to retirement Paul, I retired in 2007 from a 47 year career that
I sometimes miss. Where do you live that you have rice paddies? I grew
up in Orange County, Texas amidst rice fields, and worked in them as a
young teen. Even heaved bags of dried rice at the local rice warehouse
for a bit.

What else do you grow?

George in Texas