Old 25-02-2016, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what will you do differently?

On 2/25/2016 7:47 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Back in the sixties folks used to come out to where we country hicks
lived and dump their no longer loved critters. House was about a quarter
mile from the main road and I was out in the garden when I saw a truck
stop and a dog dumped. Had the binoculars around my neck, no not window
peeping, watching some crows after something about five acres away. Got
the guys license plate number, went into the house, called a deputy
sheriff friend, got the guys address. The dog trotted right up to the
house so put him in my truck and took him home. The home was about six
miles east of us and actually in town. Often wondered what happened when
the dumper got home and found his dog on the porch.

would have been a good one to get on camera!

songbird

In those days our county did not have an animal impoundment. I was just
tired of having to shoot a critter that I had no problems with at the
time and then having to bury them. When you live in the boonies stray
dogs get hungry sooner or later and go after your critters. We had a
commercial rabbitry, chickens, ducks, geese, and a cow and calf. Your
cow quits giving milk when she's been chased all over the pasture.
Sometimes you just have to harden your heart and do what is necessary.

Now that we live in town I can just call the critter catcher and have
them removed and, possibly, adopted by someone that needs love.

George