Old 26-02-2016, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Orchid "forest"

On 2/25/2016 9:42 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 2:08:22 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/21/2016 12:16 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

David, what is the difference between bark chips and the planting mix
sold for orchids for watering? From what I see, the planting mix is
coarse enough to allow passage of water.

So, 2 questions:

1. Which "grade" of bark chips do you use--from fine to coarse?

The bag of bark that I use for my Phalaenopsis does not indicate a size
or grade. It says the bark is from fir trees. The pieces are about 1/2
to 3/4 of an inch across and slightly less thick. The bag weighed less
than a pound, which should be enough to pot one or two orchids. Do not
add any nutrients when potting; wait before adding fertilizer to the
weekly watering.

2 Your comment above refers to "plantng medium". Do you mean JUST
bark chips, or bark chips on top of orchid planting mix?

Some Phalaenopsis growers prefer the fiber from tree ferns. Others use
spagnum moss (peat moss that has not been ground almost to a powder).
Thus, I used the term "planting medium" to include all three. Whichever
you use -- bark, fern fiber, or moss -- use only one of these media. No
soil, no compost, no vermiculite, no pea gravel.

NOTE: Cymbidium should be planted in a medium approximating real soil.
Mine is potted in a mix of fine peat moss and compost with added blood
meal and bone meal.

Sorry if this was obvious; am trying to do the best by these
newcomers.

It's okay.

=============

Confirmed that mine are all Phals.

I bought a bag of the bark. Label said from pine tree.

Also asked at my nursery; plant guy confirmed use just one medium -- bark. Said ((IIRC) moss-y stuff is used in selling to keep moist. Not necessary for purchaser.

Must get other pots. The birthday orchids came in pots w/o holes!

Anybody: I found a jar of old orchid bark in junque area. Has been rained on, etc. Is it still good to use? Mix w/new bark?

TIA

HB

I generally do mix some old bark from the flower pot with mostly new
bark when repotting. However, do not depend entirely on my advice. I
recently repotted both my Phalaenopsis, and then one of them died.

--
David E. Ross

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.