Old 27-02-2016, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Orchid "forest"

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 9:26:19 AM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/26/2016 9:06 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
"David E. Ross" writes:

I generally do mix some old bark from the flower pot with mostly new
bark when repotting. However, do not depend entirely on my advice. I
recently repotted both my Phalaenopsis, and then one of them died.

I have one orchid for at least 3 years.
Never re-potted and it looks happy to me.
There are plenty of roots outside the pot
but I don't see a problem with that.
It gives me an opportunity to mist the roots every
few days with water.

So, why do I need to re-pot this plant?

If ALL of the NEW roots are outside of the pot, the plant is not getting
any nutrients.

--
David E. Ross

On the 3 Phals from TJ, the roots of one are climbing out top of pot
Since these pots don't have drainage holes where roots would normally protrude,
I assume this should be sign that plant (s) needs repotting?

HB

While many tributes to the late Supreme Court Associate Justice
Antonin Scalia now fill the news media, his legacy was not
necessarily positive. See my "What Price Order, Mr. Justice Scalia?"
at http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_scalia_wrong.html.